THE HANEN PARENT TRAINING PROGRAM
An extensive Parent Training that is evidence based to have proven excellent outcomes for children
with delayed communication due to various causes. The two programs we are currently offering
were developed by The Hanen Centre; a not-for-profit charitable organization based out of Ontario, Canada. The following information was adapted from www.hanen.org.
Through the use of activities and group discussions, parents learn to create and take advantage of everyday opportunities to improve their child’s communication skills. Small group instruction of All Hanen Programs® uses a combination of group training sessions (where only parents and the SLP are present) and individual consultations with the SLP (in which the child is present).
This provides a comprehensive and personalized learning experience for each family participating in the program. Hanen’s specialized programs provide tools to parents of children with communication deficits, helping a child reach his or her full communication potential. Hanen has developed programs for parents in the areas of Language Delays or communication delays secondary to Autism Spectrum Disorder or Asperger Syndrome.
1. “It Takes Two to Talk Program”- For Children with Language Delays:
It Takes Two to Talk Program was specifically designed for parents of children with language delays. In a comfortable small group setting, you’ll learn how you can build your child’s language skills naturally within everyday routines and activities. Following are some of the
valuable things you’ll learn when you attend the Program:
- How your child learns best and what motivates him to communicate
- Why your child behaves in certain ways, and what you can do to either increase or reduce those behaviors.
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer and be more meaningful
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Tips on how to talk so that your child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
2. “More Than Words”-For Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders:
The program is designed specifically for parents of children ages 5 and under on the autism spectrum. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
“More Than Words” does this by empowering you to help your child reach the following three goals:
1. Improved social skills
2. The ability to engage in back-and-forth interactions
3. Improved understanding of language
Your Hanen ® Certified Instructor has extensive experience working with young children and their parents. She will guide you in learning strategies that you can apply to your everyday life.
Your Child will:
- Show gains in speech sound development
- Improve social interaction
- Increase vocabulary
- Use more multi-word sentences
- Learn how to be less directive and more responsive to their child
- Use language appropriate to their child’s communicative level
- Use language promoting strategies throughout a typical day
Group sessions will consist of 46- families of children who are struggling with developing
and using language.